Friday 4 March 2011

Comments on the course reader on "Reflective Practise" 2C

Reflective practice has been defined simply as "consciously thinking about and analysing what one is to do, is doing, or has done". As I read through the reader and some of the references it became clear that this approach will provide me with a systematic way of doing what I already do in an unstructured fashion.
   The approach will provide me with a frame work to think about future current and past events to help me plan what I am going to do, to react better on the day and to learn for the future.
   For example a major issue in my life is to improve performance at auditions. I need to think about the key criteria which will be applied to casting Directors when casting any part. Assessing if I have got what they might want, and can I convey what I think they want during the audition. If during the audition my initial assumptions prove to be wrong I need to be able to take action and change my plan to try and convey what they want.
   I have often thought that intelligences can show itself in different ways. So it was interesting to read the theory of visual, auditory and kinaesthetic learning. The theory supports my experience. In performance multiple intelligences are seen in artistic vision in learning lines or musical pieces or in dance movements.
   Learning always needs to be supported by reflection before during and after an event. For instance a dance ensemble however well rehearsed can make mistakes. If a problem arrises reflection in action can help to correct it literally on the hoof.
   I enjoyed understanding "the creative habit" as explained by Twyla Tharp. Tacit or unspoken knowledge is observable in all animals, and humans can readily be conditioned to repeat both good and bad behaviour. So I can fully understand how people can be conditioned or trained to be creative or to improve their creativity. The example quoted of muscle memory is one which all trained dancers can relate to as well as loss of muscular memory when a dancer stops training for any length of time.
   Journal writing is a key component of continuing professional development. But I think that a journal will be most useful if you are brutally honest about yourself, your perceptions of yourself and the likely perceptions of others. I agree with the view that private journals need to remain private. But they can be usefully used as a basis for publishing work, even of critical thinking. Journals should be where we can set out our goals, asses our progress and continuously review and evaluate ourselves as people as well as performance professionals.
   I like the idea of writing down what I think is wanted at key events and having to write down the evidence for my conclusions. I am more likely to come to rational decisions if I write things down and weigh them up. Also to write down a "what if" scenario should help me to prepare for specific auditions. That will show me what I need to rehearse and what I might do if my assumptions are wrong. I found it difficult to understand the "Reid and moon" framework comprises so I looked at the work of Indra Jones who has documented a reflective framework. I also looked at "the Reflective Practise journal"which sets out the key points of the Reid and moon framework. It seems to comprise six steps of description, feelings, evaluation, analysis, conclusion, and action plan. There are several variants on this structure, but  I will use this simple approach for task 2B of my part 2 module.
   I will try to be honest but also to respect myself, and try to concentrate on what has confused me where I have doubts show hesitation or feel uncomfortable or disorientated.
   Intend to start with a straight forward example of teaching a particular dance class which will cover preparation in advance thoughts on the day and reflection after the class.

1 comment:

  1. I was interested in your comments about journals being kept private. I agree that for the most constructive reflection, we must be able to be 100% honest, which we probably can't/shouldn't (!) on the internet.

    I am keeping a video diary at the moment, which I am finding useful, but the fact that I am posting them online means I do have to censor myself quite a lot, which has led me to question how useful it is going to be for me. Still, it's an experiment and I have continued to keep my private journal too so that I can carry on recording private thoughts as well.

    Thanks for some useful information about the 'Reid & Moon' framework too....this was an area of the reader that slightly confused me too.

    ReplyDelete