Sunday 13 November 2011

Task 5B

I have now compared my knowledge on the codes of practice/ regulations which guide my actions and activities at my place of work with the actual legislation from professional sources. Whilst I am happy that my knowledge of my ethical obligations to all the parties I engage with is quite good I found that there is a lot of specific legislation about working with children. I was aware of the scope of the law about the relationship between a teacher and the children being taught but now realise that there are specific pieces of legislation for example about non discrimination which I now am aware of in more detail. The work that I and my touring theatre group does brings us all into close contact with young children under 11 and we not only involve them in the performance on stage but also have to ensure their well being often without any member of staff in attendance. We need to make selections from a large group of different ages for a small number of parts and need to achieve a sensible mix of children in the performance. Sometimes our choice backfires and I now know that there is specific legal requirements on us which might be challenged by a child complaining to its' teacher of parent. I have not had time to study the 5 of 6 relevant pieces of legislation in any detail. I realise that I need to do that but outside the work of this module.

No comments:

Post a Comment