Monday 7 February 2011

Comments on the course reader on "Professional Communication Technologies"

I found the ideas presented in the quite challenging because it contained a lot of communication theory that were not familiar to me. However having thought about it I can see many similarities to the way my own industry works.
    Good networking and communication are vital skills at all stages in a project. The central roll of any performance artist is to convey meaning insights and interpretation of the creative artist in music theatre or dance to a receiving audience. The theory presented in the reader and supporting references provides a general framework within which the presentation of a performance fits very neatly.
   This complex process is started by the creative artist who conceives and formulates his or her ideas. These are taken forward by a production team and performing artists whose roll is to understand and present the creative ideas to an audience. The production process is interactive as between the creator director and performer and certainly in the case of first productions may result in a different outcome from that originally conceived. Finally the audience provides feedback. At the most basic level this is done by the way it receives the performance [applause] longevity of the production run, or increasingly through blogs, tweets and on facebook walls. The performance maybe reviewed and improved as a result of all this feedback.
   The theatrical example outlined above seems to me to perfectly fit the general model as outlined in the course reader.
   My next general reaction is that openness and transparently are the key concepts in modern professional communication through from local or family level to international relations. For success these concepts need to be underpinned by the right attitude on the part of all participants in the process. These attitudes include a willingness to present ideas in a way which are intelligible to others and a willingness to provide honest feedback on others ideas. The effort put into such a process will improve the outputs and outcomes for all participants which I believe should be the overriding objective professional communication.
   Using this process as a learning tool will be a new and challenging approach for me. But I can see great benefits both to my personal development and in maximising my career opportunities. I found quite challenging because the reader contained a lot of theoretical ideas that were not familiar to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment