Wednesday 26 October 2011

task 4d

"The award I seek as a result of doing this programme is BA (Hons) Professional Practice in performing arts business management”

The main resaon for this title is that my proposed enquiry is to try to carry out an enquiry into a real business question associated with the business, which currently provides me with employment as an actor and teacher, and links with my wish to develop my teaching skills.
I would like to carry through an enquiry, which will be useful to my employer. It might provide a basis for a commercial business decision on developing the business in an organic way.
We are living in a time when performing arts are driven by commercial considerations. Many performing artists teach as well as perform and many productions are either killed or move forward by virtue of the box office potential.
There has been a strong return to a business model, which not only builds on the “old school” actor manager undertaking touring productions, but also linking productions to teaching projects. These are often teaching projects, which have a social dimension.
Performers need to be teacher/coaches and often need to have business skills in addition.
The enquiry I am planning is on a narrower front than the title I propose, but I want to give a broader indication in the title than referring only to the scope of my enquiry.
Although it is my aim to get as far up the ladder as possible in my career as a performer, I would also like to build my teaching experience and skills and to position myself to acquire some business skills in addition.
I hope these three “strings to my bow” will provide me with the best chance of success in my stage career”.

2 comments:

  1. Some great reasoning for your planning of your project. I am not sure about it as an award title just because the majority of your training at Italia Conti was not in Business Management. The title needs to reflect what you already know and celebrate the skills you have rather than predict what you are planning. Nicole Carmen talks through this in her last two posts. What do you think? The skill of the title is being really aware of the knowledge you have and summing this up. But the thinking you show here really supports ideas for a project plan.

    Sounds like things are coming along though
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your advice perhaps I was trying to be a bit to forward looking with my proposed title, also I hadn't appreciated that the title should only reflect what I have experienced before. I have now changed my award title to BA (Hons) professional practice in performing arts.

    ReplyDelete